[Homepage] [Ireland Gallery] [Buy Prints]
Mussenden Temple Interior
All photos © Andy McInroy
Mussenden Temple is located on the Downhill Estate. The manor house at Downhill was once the home of Frederick Augustus Hervey, the 4th Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry. The estate is now owned by the National Trust. This circular temple itself was built in 1785 and sits high above Downhill Strand. Its original use was as a library. The inscription on the temple reads, "Tis pleasant, safely to behold from shore, The rolling ship, and hear the tempest roar." The site of the temple offers superb views down on to Downwhill Stand, Magilligan Point and Inishowen to the west. To the east can be seen Castlerock, Portstewart and Portrush.
Other Keywords: Downhill Demesne, Mussenden Temple, Castlerock, Belvedere, Lion's Gate